UK Christmas Sales 2016 High Street and Online Start Dates Full ListPersonal_Finance / Shopping Dec 19, 2016 - 06:03 AM GMT
Britain is enjoying a post BrExit consumer boom courtesy of the Government and Bank of England hitting the panic button following the BrExit vote, injecting an extra £150 billion into the UK economy. So Britain's shoppers with more cash in their wallets look set to go on a debt fuelled spending binge at the cathedrals of modern Britain, and so consumers infected with sales fever will be out hunting for bargains as Christmas has long since morphed into a month long relentless advertising campaign to keep consumers spending all the way into January.
To lubricate the sales season many credit card firms have been liberally stuffing household letterboxes with offers of 0% on purchases for 12 months or more that many borrowers may come to regret once their 0% periods expire with typically even longer borrowing terms for balance transfers with their associated one off 2-3% fees.
SALES ALREADY IN PROGRESS or Starting Today - Monday 19th Dec 2016
Expect the shops to be once more near full to bursting point today as the sales appear to come a day earlier each year for it was not so long ago that the first date of the sales was on Boxing Day, 26th December, whilst this year the starting gun was fired for many stores on Saturday 17th December in retailers desperate attempts to keep pace with the online stores such as Amazon.
The following is a list of in-store and online sales already underway or starting early this week (Mon/Tues) for at least 30% off with many retailers advertising sales of typically upto 50% off. Though in my opinion the REAL sales will only begin ONLINE on Christmas Eve and then continue into early January. So whilst enjoying your early week shopping spree, do bare in mind that in most cases the REAL sales will have yet to begin!
- BHS - Upto 50% off on clearance items.
- Boden - Online only - Upto 50% off
- Clarks - Upto 60% off
- Dorothy Perkins - Upto 50% off
- Debenhams - Very Limited - Upto 50% off
- GAP - 60%
- House of Fraser - Limited - Upto 50% off
- Homebase - Limited - Upto 50% off
- H&M - Upto 50% off
- IKEA - In store only - limited.
- Laura Ashley - Upto 50% off
- New Look - Upto 60% off - Limited
- NEXT Clearance Sale on selected items Upto 50% off
- Office - Upto 50% off
- Oasis - Upto 50% off
- Reiss - Upto 50% off
- River Island - Upto 50% off (online)
- Sports Direct - Upto 80% off - Up from the usual 70% marketing. Also get a £5 voucher if click and collect.
- Miss Selfridges - Upto 50% off
- Top Shop - Upto 30% off
- The Entertainer - Upto 75% off
- TK Maxx Upto 80% on clearance items.
- Toys R Us - Upto 50% off.
- Very.co.uk - Upto 70% off from 10pm tonight.
- WH Smith - Upto 50% off on selected items.
Sales Starting Wednesday 21st December
- Asos - Upto 50% off
- F&F - Upto 50% off
- Habitat - Limited products upto 50% off
SuperMarkets Very Busy
By Wednesday expect the supermarkets to be very busy, with Friday likely to be the busiest day of the year for supermarkets when as much as £2 billion could be spent on Christmas shopping, so it is probably best to do your christmas shopping as early on in the week as possibly. Otherwise look at doing your shopping early morning before 10am or late evening after about 7.30pm as likely to be the least busy times of the day, other wise expect very busy stores jam packed full of christmas shoppers.
The REAL SALES Starting Christmas Eve - Saturday 24th Dec
- Amazon - Boxing day deals of the week from 4pm
- Argos - Extends and expands Discounts to 60% off online from 7pm .
- Asda - online
- Boots - online only
- John Lewis 50% off sale - Online only from 5pm
- Halfords - Online only.
- Homebase - Online only - 60% off.
- Harrods - Online only from 6pm
- Harvey Nichols - Online
- Debenhams - Online only at Midnight.
- House of Fraser - Online only from 12pm
- Marks and Spencer Online from 5pm
- Matalan - online only
- NEXT - Online only from 3pm
- New Look - online only - 60% off.
- PC World / Curry's - Online only from 7pm
- Toys R Us - online only.
SALES Starting Christmas Day - Sunday 25th Dec
- Amazon DAILY Boxing Day Sale starts 4pm
SALES Starting Boxing Day - Monday 26th Dec
- Argos - In store sale upto 60% off.
- Asda - until mid Jan.
- Banana Republic
- Body Shop
- Debenhams - Starts 7am.
- Dorothy Perkins
- French Connection
- John Lewis 50% off sale - In selected stores from 9.30am
- Halfords - In Store.
- Harvey Nichols
- Harrods from 10am
- House of Fraser - starts 8am
- Monsoon - At least 30% off
- New Look - 60% off.
- PC World / Curry's
- River Island
- Next - In store starts 6am.
- Selfridges - 9am
- Tesco Direct - Upto 50% off
- Thorntons - Upto 60% off
- Top Man
- Toys R Us
- John Lewis - In store
Ensure to check back for regular updates.
- Compare prices on your internet smartphone before buying.
- The biggest reductions come towards the end of the sales season, i.e. Christmas stock can go from 33% off to 50% off to 70% off to 80% off over the week after Christmas.
- Use a cash back credit cards such as AmEx to earn cash back.
- Make a list of items that you really need to prevent buying of junk.
- Look for discount vouchers in newspapers.
- Look for discounts vouchers online for which there are many sites and app's.
- Set yourself a budget and don't go over it.
- Don't get into debt, there is no point saving 25% in the sales then paying 25% and beyond interest on purchases during 2016!
- And the best discounts can be found on Ebay during January as people offload unwanted gifts and purchases to pay down Christmas debt.
Ensure you are subscribed to my always free newsletter for my in-depth analysis and concluding detailed trend forecasts for 2017
Also see my latest video analysis on the stocks bull market santa rally.
Copyright © 2005-2016 Marketoracle.co.uk (Market Oracle Ltd). All rights reserved.
Nadeem Walayat has over 25 years experience of trading derivatives, portfolio management and analysing the financial markets, including one of few who both anticipated and Beat the 1987 Crash. Nadeem's forward looking analysis focuses on UK inflation, economy, interest rates and housing market. He is the author of five ebook's in the The Inflation Mega-Trend and Stocks Stealth Bull Market series that can be downloaded for Free.
Nadeem is the Editor of The Market Oracle, a FREE Daily Financial Markets Analysis & Forecasting online publication that presents in-depth analysis from over 1000 experienced analysts on a range of views of the probable direction of the financial markets, thus enabling our readers to arrive at an informed opinion on future market direction. http://www.marketoracle.co.uk
Disclaimer: The above is a matter of opinion provided for general information purposes only and is not intended as investment advice. Information and analysis above are derived from sources and utilising methods believed to be reliable, but we cannot accept responsibility for any trading losses you may incur as a result of this analysis. Individuals should consult with their personal financial advisors before engaging in any trading activities.
Nadeem Walayat Archive
© 2005-2016 http://www.MarketOracle.co.uk - The Market Oracle is a FREE Daily Financial Markets Analysis & Forecasting online publication.